We all have pigment but it is when it is uneven and "hyperpigmented" that it can be bothersome. During warmer weather hyperpigmentation on the body becomes one of the concerns our Estheticians are asked about the most. Dark armpits, knees, elbows and inner thighs are now on show. Here are our top tips for a brighter more revealing summer!
Let's start with the most common causes for hyperpigmentation on the body.
- irritation caused by shaving, waxing or ingrown hairs
- spots left from acne on back, chest and buttocks
- irritation caused from friction and rubbing
- irritation caused by over exfoliation
- body and deodorant products with irritating ingredients such as baking soda, high levels of fragrance or aluminum
- sun damage
- the more melanin rich your skin is the more prone you are to pigment disorders.
- certain medical conditions such as insulin resistance or PCOS
Here are our Top Tips for Prevention & Treatment:
Note: pigment cells are very delicate and it does not take much to damage them so being gentle and reducing skin irritation is the key to success.
- Waxing and shaving can both cause irritation and possible ingrown hairs (which can lead to hyperpigmentation) so reducing irritation after waxing/shaving and applying treatments to prevent ingrown hairs is key. Click here to read our article on Top Tips to Prevent & Treat Ingrown Hairs for more information.
- If you shave wait 12 hours before applying any deodorant or body product that might cause further irritation and trigger hyperpigmentation.
- avoid vigorous exfoliation which causes too much friction and can flare up pigment damage.
- if you are prone to hyperpigmentation on knees and elbows be mindful of habits/tasks that cause a lot of rubbing to these areas (eg. kneeling in the garden or playing with a small child).
- wearing seamless underwear that cause less chafing from elastics or wires.
- practice regular and consistent sun protection
- use Kaia Naturals Takesumi Bright Kojic Acid Soap in the shower daily on hyperpigmented areas. It will prevent and lighten dark spots.
- use Kaia Naturals Takesumi Bright Niacinamide Deodorant & Body Balm for underarms as elsewhere on the body to further brighten, prevent chafing, soothe the skin and prevent odour.
- use PFB Vanish Lumen 8 Body Lotion as your body moisturizer and pigment lightener daily.
- on areas prone to ingrown hairs use PFB Vanish + Chromobright or PFB Vanish Ultra to reduce the ingrowns and resolve hyperpigmentation caused by the ingrowns.
Following these simply tips is sure to guarantee a brighter skin and summer season!